Jan 31, 2013

Handscapes

In my mind, images of ancient handprints on cave walls are often a starting point for new work. I've been exploring interactions using white cotton gloves with the more-than-human-world.  This has become a way of participating in nature,  a way of “touching ground”, and providing a show of hands”.  These hands are evolving into wings and bird forms.  I have one "bird" that I like to take for walks and document her interactions in various places.


Handscape, Cabo Pulmo Beach, Mexico, 2013

The creature who makes tracks, 2013
South of Cabo Pulmo, Mexico

Neckline, 2012, Orcas Island, WA

Lily Flight, 2012, Devil's Lake, WA
from series - Wings of Desire


Madrona flight, 2013, Orcas Island,WA
from series - Wings of Desire

From Darkness, 2013, Port Townsend, WA
From series - Wings of Desire

Water Rest, 2012, Botany Beach, British Columbia, Canada
From series - Wings of Desire

Nesting, 2012, Devil's Lake, WA
From series - Wings of Desire

Pond Hopping, 2012, Botany Beach, British Columbia, Canada
From series - Wings of Desire

Pond Flight, 2012, Botany Beach, British Columbia, Canada
From series - Wings of Desire


All images © 2013 Gloria Lamson, all rights reserved.         

4 comments:

Margo99 said...

Hi, Gloria. I love this series. Just love the concept of cotton gloves. Great work. Now back to see the rest of your photos.

Marti, from Creativity Coaching class

Gloria Lamson said...

Thank you Marti!

Claire Govaerts said...

Hello Gloria,
my name is Claire and for school we'll need to make a presentation about land art. I really like your art. But I have a question: what kind of material is the bird made of? I hope you'll see this comment soon so I can put you in my presentation.

Kind regards, Claire

Gloria Lamson said...

Hello Claire,
Many hands of white cotton gloves create the bird. The same kind of gloves in the above images.
Thank you for your interest. Best wishes with your presentation.